Mapping has developed many clichés throughout it's history. Using a cliché isn't necessarily bad, but they are not recommended as they are unoriginal and can make your content more boring.
List of Clichés
- Germany is reformed into a fascist, nationalist, neo-Nazi or other radical state, often referred to as the Fourth Reich.
- Germany (and sometimes France) unite the European Union into a superstate controlled mainly by German politicians.
- Russia forms a Neo-Soviet Union.
- Russia collapses and is split into smaller states, or Siberia declares independence.
- Scotland (sometimes Wales, rarely Northern Ireland) declares independence from the United Kingdom in the aftermath of Brexit.
- A former Yugoslav country, usually Serbia, reunites Yugoslavia.
- Czechoslovakia is reunited either diplomatically or forcefully.
- Turkey annexes a few of its neighbors and becomes the Ottoman Empire.
- Norway, Sweden, Denmark, and sometimes Finland and Iceland are united into Scandinavia.
- Spain collapses and many of its regions (usually Catalonia and/or Basque, often Galicia, and occasionally others) declare independence.
- Greece collapses due to an economic crisis.
- Austria and Hungary reunite.
- The Islamic State is formed in Syria and/or Iraq.
- Central Asia either unites or is re-annexed by Russia.
- Ireland, Scotland, Wales, and sometimes Cornwall and Brittany form the Celtic Union. They sometimes then annex England.
- The Baltic states unite.
- Benelux is formed, usually diplomatically or through the Netherlands conquering Belgium and Luxembourg.
- Korea is unified under either government.
- Japan becomes an empire again and annexes surrounding countries.
- Australia and New Zealand unite into Oceania.
- Nations such as Russia, France, and Britain suddenly reform back into empires.
- Iberia is formed by Spain and Portugal.
- Romania annexes Moldova.
- An exceptionally large country (which often controls most of the world) is hit by countless revolts simultaneously and is split according to all the rebels' claims.
- Tibet, Manchuria and/or East Turkestan gain independence.
- China reforms into a democracy.
- Russia annexing Belarus.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.